With the changing lifestyle of couples due to evolving professional commitments, the need for medical treatments has also increased proportionately. It is crucial to understand that these changing lifestyles reduce the chances of natural pregnancy among couples. Here comes the role of medical intervention, which includes infertility treatments. In Vitro Fertilization, which is more commonly known, as IVF is one of the most common successes oriented infertility treatments fetching some of the highest success rates.
Why is IVF procedure used?
IVF procedure is used in cases as mentioned as below:
- Presence of blocked fallopian tubes in women
- One of the partners is detected with unexplained infertility
- Absence of fallopian tubes in the female partner due to past surgeries
- Male infertility factors such as low sperm count
- Failure of basic infertility treatments such as Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) procedure.
Steps involved in IVF procedure:
- Ovulation Induction: Ovulation induction is the first step of IVF procedure. Here, injectable medications are given to the patient for stimulating ovaries. Once, the ovaries are considered to be stimulated, then transvaginal ultrasound and blood tests.
- Egg retrieval procedure: In this step, eggs are retrieved from the ovaries with the assistance of ultrasound or laparoscopy surgery from the follicles in the woman. This step in IVF procedure takes around 20 minutes. Some patients may feel discomfort and cramping during the egg retrieval step.
- Sperm retrieval procedure: Semen is collected from the male partner on the day of the egg retrieval procedure. In some of the cases, testicular aspiration is used under the guidance of infertility specialist.
- Fertilization: The step of fertilization is performed in the IVF laboratory. Here, the sperm and egg are fertilized under the guidance of embryologist. The embryo thus formed is prepared for transfer procedure.
- Embryo transfer: The infertility specialist performs embryo transfer under the advised conditions. You need to know that your doctor might also advise you to choose for Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis or Screening (PGD or PGS) if you had faced failure with IVF treatments in the past. Once embryo transfer is completed, the couple is asked to wait for a time period of 2 weeks for receiving the news of pregnancy, which occurs with successful implantation.
Success rates of IVF procedure: The success rates of IVF treatment depends on various factors with respect to the male and female partner of the couple. With the increase in age of the woman, the success rates of IVF procedure decrease significantly. So, it is recommended that IVF procedure be performed on time to prevent any effects on the success of IVF procedure in achieving pregnancy.
Thus, IVF procedure proves to be beneficial for couples who are struggling to have babies and want to use medical treatments for IVF procedure. Make sure you consult an experienced infertility specialist for IVF procedure and the treatment is executed successfully.